Website Ministry of the Solicitor General - Ontario Public Service
The Ministry of the Solicitor General (SOLGEN) Digital Design Branch is moving forward with a sector-wide initiative (The Criminal Justice Digital Design (CJDD) project) that will define and implement a criminal justice sector roadmap of sustained transformation. CJDD is a complex cross-sector, multi-disciplinary, multi-year initiative that requires extensive time and resources to successfully ensure its development and delivery.
The roadmap will guide criminal justice sector transformation to implement emerging technology to address evolving sector needs, and includes five (5) project streams:
Criminal E-Intake (CeI) – an online solution that will allow the police to electronically submit charge packages and supporting process documents for review and consideration by a Justice of the Peace in Intake Court
Digital Evidence Management (DEM) – a cloud-based SaaS solution to manage, store and share multimedia evidentiary files, ensuring secure, anytime/anywhere access across the justice sector by justice partners and stakeholders
Digital Disclosure & Hearing Hub (D2H2) – an online cloud-based solution enabling both secure electronic document and evidence sharing during virtual court hearings
Criminal Courts Case Management Systems and Portal (New ICON) – Modernization of the existing mainframe-based criminal case management system (ICON) and tools available to the Courts to enhance and improve data-sharing
Integration – an integration platform for secure exchange of data and documents between justice sector partners, delivering anytime/anywhere access to criminal matters between various systems
Come showcase your leadership and specialized I&IT expertise with the Ministry of the Solicitor General, where you will provide senior-level planning and management in the implementation of technical solutions and related activities of large and complex corporate systems across the province.
Why work for the Ontario Public Service?
We are re-thinking how we deliver services through various initiatives, modernization initiatives and how we access and deliver critical services remotely. We are striving to enable a future-ready Ontario Public Service (OPS) workforce through technology-focused enterprise-wide strategies.
The Ontario Public Service (OPS) offers a competitive compensation package. We support career and leadership development, invest in learning opportunities, recognize team and individual achievements, and support flexible work arrangements.
To learn more about the compensation package for this position, please visit the OPSEU Union Website for a copy of the current collective agreements.
What can I expect to do in this role?
As a Product Engineer, you will:
- lead and manage the deployment, automation, maintenance and management of custom-built and acquired Commercial-Off-The-Shelf (COTS) solutions
- oversee technical project plans, and lead teams, budgets, schedules and activities
- perform complete analysis, design, and modification of operational procedures and system processes to improve the efficiencies, security and quality of service
- provide leadership and technical expertise to the development and building of custom DevOps solutions, and solutions to support end users, project teams, and technical staff
- develop proposals, lead consultations with business areas, provide advice on system options, risk, impact and costs/benefits, and ensure compatibility and integration of systems throughout the ministry
- lead and conduct technical research projects on current and emerging technological trends, associated standards, directions, and I&IT administrative policies and procedures
- provide technical functional leadership, expertise, mentorship/coaching and direction to less senior team members
Location(s): North Bay, Toronto
How do I qualify?
- Knowledge of current development tools/languages, including Angular, Bootstrap, Spring boot, jQuery
- Advanced knowledge of software development life cycle (SDLC), e.g. experience in building foundation portal components such as cache modules, and in WebLogic, WebSphere, Tomcat and IIS application servers
- Knowledge of systems development methodology and information technology systems and environments, application processing systems, and core and hybrid platforms used in agile and DevOps environments and .NET-based COTS products such as MS Dynamics 365
- Knowledge of process to provision, configure, administrate, automate, monitor, and support enterprise Cloud services such as Azure and ICP
- Knowledge of integrating software solutions and applications using cross-platform integration patterns. Hands-on experience in working on integration frameworks will be an advantage
- Knowledge of software build cycles, code deployment, software architecture, application programming, database management and system design, infrastructure automation tools and processes, and Continuous Integration (CI) software engineering practices
- Knowledge of web development and languages such as Java, C/C++, PHP,.Net, development and maintenance of facing web applications and portals using a variety of web technologies
- Knowledge of current information technology and information engineering principles, object-oriented computer programming techniques, current application development platforms and advanced design techniques, and client/server application development technology such as web-based
- Strong understanding of system architectures, including technical, data, application, and database
Reasoning, Analytical and Problem-Solving Skills
- You can assess and recommend architectural strategies for acquisition, development, integration and implementation of complex technical solutions.
- You can assess technical design problems and develop computerized solutions to information problems in support of end users.
- You possess advanced problem-solving skills to assess, diagnose and resolve problems impacting the information technology infrastructure and resolve operational problems with software.
Oral and Written Communication Skills
- You possess strong oral communication and listening skills.
- You have demonstrated written communication skills to prepare project reports, design/development documentation, manuals, senior-level briefing materials, and cost-benefits analyses.
Salary Range: $1,670.59 – $2,087.00 Per Week
- 3 Temporary, duration up to 18 months, 655 Bay St, Toronto, Toronto Region or 200 First Ave W, North Bay, North Region, Criminal Record Check
- In accordance with the Ontario Public Service (OPS), Employment Screening Checks Policy (ESCP), the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Refer to the above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
Required security screening checks along with your written consent, will be sent to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), Talent Acquisition Branch (TAB), HR Service Delivery Division (HRSDD) to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional employment screening checks that were not obtained directly by you.
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The employment screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual’s employment screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Employment screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
- The information that you provide for the purpose of this competition and the results from this competition may be used to fill other positions. These positions may be of various tenures, including short-term assignments. Your information and the results from this competition will be retained for the purpose of filling vacancies in accordance with the applicable collective agreement or policy provisions.
Please apply online, only, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 155479, by Wednesday, March 3, 2021. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.
To apply for this job please visit www.ontario.ca.