Website University of Guelph
A leadership role with organization-wide scope and impact – Guelph, ON
Computing and Communications Services (CCS) is the central IT department on campus, providing IT infrastructure and central technology services to the University of Guelph community. With a progressive organizational culture, and a strong learning and development focus, CCS is an exciting place for the Manager of Network Infrastructure to lead, collaborate and champion best practices.
Reporting to the Director, Technology Operations, CCS, you’ll be responsible for the planning, development and maintenance of the continually evolving enterprise voice and data networking infrastructure on campus (including communication closets, two data centre locations and remote campuses), and the network security solutions that support the Information Security team (InfoSec), along with being jointly responsible for collaboration solutions. Your responsibilities include the traditional management functions in an Information Technology (IT) environment: all staffing duties (hiring, developing, coordinating, etc.), service delivery planning, budgeting, cost management, departmental administration, and interaction with an array of industry and business partners to ensure planning and deployment of leading-edge solutions in this dynamic field.
As Manager of Network Infrastructure, you’ll be part of a CCS Management Team tasked with developing and communicating a vision for the organization, influencing its direction, and leading the planning and implementation focused on technical and organizational direction.
To be considered for the position of Manager, Network Infrastructure, you must be a proven leader with the following strengths:
- An undergraduate degree in computer science/information technology, or a related field with corresponding IT certifications, plus a minimum of seven (7) years’ related experience in team leadership, complex project management and large budget facilitation.
- Comprehensive IT knowledge of data and voice collaboration and communication systems, including wired, wireless networks (CISCO is highly preferred) and network security.
- Strong analytical ability and excellent interpersonal, communications and conflict resolution skills, with demonstrated aptitude in superior planning, administration and people management.
- The ability to think and act quickly and effectively under pressure, exercising tact, diplomacy, discretion and good judgment.
- A proven track record in leadership competencies centred on big picture orientation (implementing best practices and solutions to continually improve operations); negotiations (negotiating in challenging situations with both internal and external stakeholders to achieve desired results); strategic agility (thinking strategically to improve performance and create innovation); and team-building (fostering collaboration, and creating an environment to engage and develop others to work congruently toward achieving common goals).
- Knowledge of distributed cloud strategies, including integration and operation; network security strategy; agile project and service delivery; experience supporting development teams following DevOps methodologies using Azure DevOps; concepts of digital transformation; current industry trends and direction; contract management and service level agreements is considered a strong asset.
NOTE: This appointment is regularly performed on-campus but, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, will be initially fulfilled remotely (off-campus) until the University resumes its regular operations.
The University of Guelph (www.uoguelph.ca) is one of Canada’s leading research-intensive comprehensive institutions, with a record of outstanding scholarship in the arts, humanities, social sciences, life sciences, physical and engineering sciences, agriculture and veterinary sciences. This is your chance to join us in our endeavour to improve life.
To view a detailed posting for the role of Manager, Network Infrastructure, including application instructions, please go to our website at www.uoguelph.ca/jobs. Applications, quoting Hiring #2020-0420, must be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.
To apply for this job please visit www.uoguelph.ca.