Website New Westminster Schools
New Westminster Schools seeks a self-motivated, organized, innovative, creative, collaborative and dynamic communications professional. Reporting to the Superintendent of Schools, the Communications Coordinator plays a vital role towards ensuring our vision, mission and values are at the core of our communications. This includes supporting our four strategic priorities:
- Transform Student Learning
- Build Meaningful Relationships
- Lead into our Future
- Ensure Full Participation in Learning
About New Westminster Schools
New Westminster is located in the center of Metro Vancouver between the larger communities of Burnaby, Coquitlam, Surrey, and Richmond. Despite its location, the city is relatively small and has retained a strong sense of history and community. The total population is approximately 70,000 and is expected to grow to 84,000 by 2021. District schools are, in general, fully subscribed, and a modest increase in student enrolment is expected over the next few years.
The student population is reflective of the city’s population, with a full range of social and cultural backgrounds forming a diverse presence in our schools.
- Approximately 7000 K-12 students in 12 schools (8 elementary, 3 middle and 1 secondary), including:
- 319 Aboriginal students;
- 1,051 English Language Learner (ELL) students;
- 998 French Immersion students; and,
- 538 students with identified Special Needs.
- In addition to the 12 schools in the district, New Westminster Schools is proud to have three Youth Alternate Programs, two Adult Learning Centres, and a Home Learners’ Program.
New Westminster School District has a rich tapestry of cultures, backgrounds and needs. Together, we are a caring, inclusive, and committed learning community dedicated to supporting each of our unique learners
About the position
Under the direction of the Associate Superintendent of Schools, the Director of Information Technology is responsible for developing the computing and telecommunications infrastructure and services appropriate to the complex and evolving needs of the District. The Director of Information Technology will work with staff and stakeholders in the planning, development, implementation and support of the information technology needs of the District, including providing hands on technical support within the IT Team.
- Provides leadership and a vision for developing district information technology services
- Defines, delivers and manages a cost-effective, reliable IT infrastructure and architecture in partnership with system leaders, senior staff, stakeholders and information technology vendors to support existing and emerging applications.
- Continually reviews existing services in light of changing district requirements, anticipates rapid changes in information technology, and designs, develops and implements appropriate new services that reflect best practices.
- Oversees the design and construction of new systems and applications.
- Supervises and supports the work of all Information Technology Service staff.
- Develops and implements a strategic Information Technology Plan for all users of the District; establishes the direction for technology in the District.
- Manages the Information Technology Services budget and expenditures.
- Negotiates with software and hardware vendors on pricing and terms and conditions for major acquisitions and renewals of software and hardware contracts.
- Researches and implements leading edge educational software and technologies to support student needs
- Manages the primary contractors delivering new systems, such as technical support at the Secondary and Tertiary levels, new Telecommunications and integrated systems, structured wiring and other contracted services.
About the candidate
- Ability to communicate openly and effectively with all stakeholders, trustees, senior staff, system leaders and the general public in a manner that is appropriate for their level of knowledge as it relates to Information Technology.
- Experience managing a large-scale network with numerous complex systems.
- Experience managing the Information Technology services within a technically and financially complex organization.
- A broad knowledge of existing and emerging hardware and software technologies and computing architectures.
- Extensive knowledge of the Information Technology industry and experience negotiating contracts for hardware, software and services.
- Experience and expertise in cloud based computing such as Azure.
- Experience developing and implementing Information Technology policies and procedures.
- Experience in promoting technology solutions in an education environment.
- Experience implementing Microsoft environments including Office 365, certification an asset.
Specific candidate qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or relevant post-secondary education, or equivalent of education and work experience.
- Minimum of 8-10 years of relevant experience, preferably in a public sector or large complex organization.
- Considerable experience and success with integrating new technologies and methodologies into a large organization.
To apply to this position, please submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and a list of three recent professional references in one single PDF document to:: email@example.com, located at New Westminster Schools, 811 Ontario Street, New Westminster, BC, V3M 0J7. This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found, however applications received prior to July 20, 2020, will be assured of full consideration.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
School District No. 40 (New Westminster) is an equal opportunity employer. Successful Completion of a Criminal Record Search is a District Requirement. New Westminster Schools is committed to principles of inclusion and equity and invite any applicant in need of specific consideration when applying to bring such need to the attention of Mr. Robert Weston – Executive Director of Human Resources, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 604-517-6346.
To apply for this job please visit makeafuture.applytoeducation.com.