Website University of Manitoba
At the University of Manitoba our strength lies in our community — individuals who are driven by curiosity and work together to shape a better world.
Our commitment to discovery encompasses everything we do; from the education we offer students to the workplace we offer employees. Experience top benefits, world-class facilities and a community that inspires one another to carve their own path.
Recognized as one of Manitoba’s Top 25 Employers for the eighth consecutive year and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers, the U of M is ready to help you take the next step in your career!
The University of Manitoba is a major contributor to the Canadian National Digital Research Infrastructure ecosystem. The University has an Advanced Research Computing (ARC) Team that provides local and National scientific and technical support expertise, takes part in user training, and participates in the management of the national systems through ComputeCanada National teams. The University’s ARC staff also manages several local High-Performance Compute (HPC) resources, most importantly the 4000-core HPC machine.
To expand our Research Computing capabilities, The University of Manitoba is looking to enhance its ARC team with a new Cloud Computing Support Specialist. The specialist will report to the ARC team lead. The position is managed by Faculty of Science. The successful applicant will work within an exciting and vibrant university research environment, providing compute solutions for scientists and engineers who are conducting research ranging from subatomic physics and genomics to machine learning and digital agriculture.
The qualifications and experience we’re looking for:
- Sc. or Ph.D. degree in computer science, physics, chemistry, mathematics, engineering or a related field with a computational focus is preferred.
- In lieu of an advanced degree, a B.Sc. degree and a minimum of 4 years of computational research experience will be considered.
- Experience in working in a research computing environment.
- Experience using Linux operating systems and open source/Linux based software development environments (e.g. git, cmake, etc.) and scripting (e.g. shell, Python, Perl, R, etc.)
- Experience using private and public cloud platforms such as OpenStack, MS Azure, Amazon AWS, Google GCE, and cloud deployments tools such as Terraform, HEAT, Azure CycleCloud, etc.
- Experience with automation and configuration management tools would be beneficial (Ansible, Puppet, etc.)
- Experience in Linux containerization technologies (Docker, Singularity, Kubernetes) is an asset.
- Experience with traditional HPC technologies (scheduling: SLURM/torque/SGE, environment modules, CernVMFS), and/or HPC and object storage technologies (e.g. S3, CEPH, Lustre FS or GPFS) is an asset.
- Knowledge of private and public cloud technologies such as OpenStack, AWS, Azure, GCP etc. and provisioning tools such as Terraform, HEAT, Ansible, Puppet etc.
- Knowledge/skills in Linux containerization technology (docker, singularity, LXC, etc.).
- Understanding of the HPC environment is preferred (compilers, resource management software (Modules, CVMFS, SLURM, Moab, etc.).
- Knowledge of and Internet, authentication, and Web server technologies (SSH, SSL/TLS, MFA) is an asset.
- An acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Why the University of Manitoba?
Along with being one of Manitoba’s top employers, we are proud to provide a collaborative and enriching work environment. In addition to a strong compensation package with a competitive salary, the University provides an exceptional workplace that includes:
- Competitive vacation time.
- Comprehensive group benefits program and pension plan.
- Access to the university’s state-of-the-art fitness facilities.
- Employee and Family Assistance Program.
- A full spectrum of professional development opportunities.
Ready to take the next step in your career? Apply today through the University of Manitoba’s career portal, UM Careers where you will find the full job specification: https://viprecprod.ad.umanitoba.ca/DEFAULT.ASPX?REQ_ID=14266
Closing Date: January 31, 2021
Applications will only be accepted if you apply on UM Careers.
The University of Manitoba is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from women, racialized persons, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations and genders, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
If you require accommodation supports during the recruitment process, please contact UM.Accommodation@umanitoba.ca or 204-474-8371. Please note this contact information is for accommodation reasons only.
Application materials, including letters of reference, will be handled in accordance with the protection of privacy provisions of “The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy” (Manitoba). Please note that curriculum vitae will be provided to participating members of the search process.
To apply for this job please visit viprecprod.ad.umanitoba.ca.